The lake of the Stars
The 100 most beautiful movies filmed in Lombardia
Lake Como, over the years, has been confirmed time and time again as one of the most fascinating locations in the history of cinema.
Beginning in the 20th century, when Alfred Hitchcock decided to film his first full length motion picture,
The Pleasure Garden, this enchanting lake has inspired countless actors and directors. After discovering the beauty of the area, George Clooney even decided to buy a house here. The Hollywood heartthrob's summer house, Villa Oleandra in Laglio, has been known to frequently host guests like Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, and Uma Thurman.
Discover all the hotspots on Lake Como in the guide, "Lombardia Superstar. 100 films, 1 region."
- Bobby Deerfield (1977) Bellagio In Sydney Pollack's film "Bobby Deerfield", audiences fell in love with Lake Como as they watched the couple Al Pacino & Marthe Keller crossing to Bellagio aboard a ferry. The destination was so enchanting, the two decided to stay at the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni, one of the oldest and most elegant hotels on the entire lake.
- Rocco and His Brothers (1961) Bellagio, Lakeside On the romantic "Lungolago Europa" of Bellagio, the stars of Rocco and His Brothers, Nadia (Annie Girardot) and Simone Parondi (Renato Salvatori) share a memorable kiss that signals the beginning of a great love story. The two would even go on to become husband and wife off-screen, undeniable proof that love reigns in Bellagio.
- A Month by the Lake (1995) Bellagio, Lake Club Vanessa Redgrave, Edward Fox, and Alessandro Gassmann can be seen taking a swim at the lake club in this 1995 film. This romantic hotspot on Lake Como can be reached by boat or ferry from Varenna, Menaggio, Cadenabbia, and Tremezzo.
- The Worst Week of my Life (2011) Bellagio This comedy shows Alessandrio Siani and Fabio de Luigi grabbing a ferry from Cadenabbia to Bellagio to reach Cristina Capotondi, the fiancé of De Luigi. You can follow their example and grab a ferry yourself, admiring the spectacular landscapes on Lake Como.
- Frankestein Unbound (1990) Villa Melzi d'Eril, Bellagio It was here at Villa Melzi d'Eril that director Roger Corman set his three English writers Percy, Mary Shelley, and Lord Byron, protagonists in the horror film from 1990.
- Once upon a time in America (1984) Villa Melzi d'Eril, Bellagio The park of Villa Melzi d'Eril, one of the most imposing sceneries near Lake Como is among Robert de Niro's favorite places. After filming of a few scenes of Once upon a time in America, he fell in love with it and returned repeatedly as a tourist. Villa Melzi d'Eril's gardens are open to the public from March through October.
- Innamorato pazzo (1981) Villa Olmo, Como The protagonists of this 80's cult movie are Adriano Celentanno, who plays tramway driver Barnaba and Ornellia Muti playing Princess Cristina. Barnaba will do anything in his power to to win over the beautiful Cristina, and will marry her in the end regardless of their differences. Filming was done in Como's Villa Olmo, historical residence where art exhibitions and events are hosted nowadays.
- I ragazzi di via Panisperna (1985) Villa Olmo, Como Como's Villa Olmo is picked by Gianni Amelio to record a few scenes of "I ragazzi di via Panisperna". This movie is set in the nineteen thirties and illustrates the hopes, fears, successes and defeats of a group of young Italian physicists: Enrico Fermi, Ettore Majorana, Emilio Segrè and Bruno Pontecorvo.
- Ocean's Twelve ( 2004) Lake Como The most beautiful scenes in Ocean's Twelve, film starring Hollywood stars such as George Clooney, Julia Roberts, Catherine Zeta Jones, Brad Pitt and Matt Damon, were recorded at Lake Como. This exceptional cast stayed at George Clooney's splendid summer home of Villa Oleandra in Laglio during production.
- The Luzhin Defence (2001) Villa Erba, Cernobbio Chess champion Luzhin (John Turturro) arrives to the Brenna-Alzate railway station only to find a a girl on a bench waiting for him (Emily Watson). He will fall in love with her afterwards. Cernobbio's Villa Erba is turned into a fictional hotel where Turturro/Luzhin is the most expected guest in a prestigious chess match.
- The pleasure Garden (1925) Villa d'Este, Cernobbio Villa D'Este is turned into an internationally renowned luxury hotel where the protagonists of "The pleasure Garden" spend their honeymoon. Alfred Hitchcock's first feature film could not have been recorded in a more beautiful location. The Villa is surrounded by a 10 acres private park, enclosing thousands of centuries-old plants, while its interiors guard remarkable art pieces.
- The other man (2008) Villa D'Este, Cernobbio It is at the luxury hotel of Villa D'Este, with the spectacular view of Lake Como where Peter (Liam Neeson) will discover the truth of the secretive affair that his wife Lisa (Laura Linney) is having with the charming Ralph (Antonio Banderas).
- Malombra (1942) Villa Pliniana, Torno (CO) Villa Pliniana, immersed in the fearsome atmosphere as told by Fogazzaro's novel "Malombra" which the movie is based on, serves as the background for the life of the young Marina di Malombra (Isa Miranda).
- Piccolo Mondo Antico (1941) Villa Fogazzaro Roi, Oria Valsolda (CO) Director Mario Soldati provides a breathtaking view of Lake Como for viewers' pleasure. Villa Fogazzaro Roi in Oria Valsolda, on the Italian shores of Lake Lugano, is the villa where most of the movie is recorded.
- Una vita difficile (1961) Lenno Alberto Sordi plays an unexpected dramatic role as partisan Silvio Magnozzi in "A hard life" by Dino Risi. We see him get on the beaches of Platani di Lenno where he will begin a love affair with Elena, played by the great Lea Massari, who offers him a safe haven from the Germans. The Roman Baptistery of Piazza XI Febbraio and the lake shore can be seen in the movie.
- Star Wars - Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones (2002) Villa Balbianello, Lenno George Lucas, the legendary Star Wars director and producer, sets the second chapter of his prequels at Lake Como. Scenes related to the fictional and peaceful planet of Naboo, the lacustrine region of Vareniko to be precise, were recorded among Villa Balbaniello and Lenno. Villa Balbaniello is owned nowadays by FAI. It is possible to visit Padme Amidala's abode, where she kisses Padawan Anakin Skywalker when it opens to the public.
- Casinò Royale (2006) Lake Como How can we forget the passionate kiss between MI6 agent James Bond and beautiful Treasury employee Vesper, played by Daniel Craig and Eva Green in Casino Royale? Lake Como provides a spectacular scenery. Villa Gaeta in the town of San Siro serves as the background for the final scene where Bond catches Mr White.
- Allonsanfan (1974) Villa Amalia, Erba Marcello Mastroianni plays Fulvio Imbriani in "Allonsanfan" by Paolo e Vittorio Taviani. It tells the story of a Milanese aristocrat who is released after a long, harsh sentence in the Habsburg prisons for his affiliation with the Sublimi Brothers. With his newfound freedom, he takes refuge in Villa Amalia, a luxurious neo-classical estate in Erba.
- Che bella giornata (2011) Alserio Lake, Valle del Lambro Regional Park A scene of the movie "What a beautiful day" where protagonists Checco and Farah are having a romantic pic-nic has been recorded in Upper Brianza, on the Alserio Lake. The pathway around the lake can be easily traversed on foot or by bicycle. Ideal for families with children.
- La Signora di tutti (1934) Canzo Canzo in Brianza is the setting of the feature film "Everybody's Woman" by Max Ophüls, the first Italian movie that seeked to replicate the success of Hollywood productions. Villa ex Magni Rizzoli, which is nestled on the hill, towers over town.
- Una breve vacanza (1973) Sondalo, Valtellina Protagonist Clara (Florinda Bolkan), worker in a large factory, gets tuberculosis and is sent a hospital in Sondalo, a holiday town in Valtellina, in order to heal. It is possible to by train from Milan to Tirano, then you can reach Sondalo by bus.
- Soldato semplice (2015) Stelvio National Park, Valtellina Feature film "Common Soldier" by Paolo Cevoli is set among the mountains of the Upper Valtellina. An atheist, anti-intervention teacher is forced by the school director due to his ideals to enlist in the army and is transferred to a small mountain outpost to work as a heliographist. Scenes were recorded at the Stelvio National Park, Forni in Valdidentro and the surroundings of the Branca Shelter.
- Rupi del vino (2009) Valtellina Ermanno Olmi takes on a journey among the valleys, cliffs, wine, traditions of the Valtellina area in a new, exciting and beautiful documentary.
- Segni particolari: bellissimo (1983) Lecco This Italian 80's cult movie stars Mattia (played by Adriano Celentano), a hopeless bachelor who will fall in love with the beautiful Michela (Federica Moro), which he will eventually marry. The church where the wedding takes place is located in Pescarenico, a neighborhood in Lecco already described by Alessandro Manzoni in The Bethroded.
- L'uomo d'acqua dolce (1996) Varenna The Varenna-Esino-Perledo railway station where the protagonists of L'uomo d'acqua dolce get off is quite visible in several scenes. Beatrice (Valeria Milillo) and Goffredo (Antonio Petrocelli) are a married couple who decide to spend a few days by the lake after the unexpected return of Beatrice's first husband Antonio (Antonio Albanese). Some scenes were recorded at the Varenna Harbor and Villa Monastero, open to the public from March through November.
- Come due coccodrilli (1994) Lierna Gabriele lives in Paris and has made a career as an art dealer. He returns to Italy after a twenty years absence from the lovely village of Lierna on Lake Como in order to get even with his stepbrothers, who bullied and humiliated him when he was a teenager.
- Corsa di primavera (1989) Poggio di Casciago (Varese) Director from Varese Giacomo Campiotti returns to his homeland to produce "Corsa di primavera". The protagonist is a 9 year old boy, child of divorced parents, who moves in with his mother in a town near Varese.
- I figli di Annibale (1998) Consonno, Olginate (LC) In the movie "I figli di Annibale", the protagonist Domenico (Silvio Orlando), is an unemployed man from Turin who decides to rob a bank in Como then escape to Switzerland with the money. Director Davide Ferrario records a couple scenes in the singular town of Olginate, former Las Vegas of the Brianza during the sixties. It is nowadays a ghost town due to a landslide that wiped out the new street that connected it with the downtown.
- Poesia che mi guardi (2009), Il cielo in me (2014); Antonia (2014) Pasturo (LC) Three feature films set in Pasturo, at the foothills of the Grigna, based on the life story of poetess Antonia Pozzi, who took her own life when she was 26 years old. She loved to spend her summer holidays in this town of Valsassina, which in turn has dedicated a 22 stages long itinerary where it is possible to know her story.
- Rangbaaz (2013) Lake Como Bollywood lands in Lombardy with Rangbaaz, the Bengali epic that uses Como and Milan as the perfect settings for the protagonists' Dev and Koel Mallick, plus their 40 backup dancers, musical scenes.
- Grand Hotel (1932) Tremezzo The feature film Grand Hotel, shot in 1932 by British director Edmond Goulding, stars the great Greta Garbo who falls in love with the town of Tremezzo, a historic holiday destination in Lake Como.
- I promessi sposi (1941) Oliveto Lario (CO) The most faithful adaptation of Alessandro Manzoni's renowned novel "The Bethroded' was produced in 1941 by Mario Camerini. It stars actors Gino Cervi and Dina Sassoli. The locations of Limonta and Vassena (both making part of Oliveto Lario), plus the town of Rezzonico were used to record the scene of the Landsknecht. Over 1.500 extras were cast from the inhabitants of Brienno, Laino and Sant'Anna to shoot the crowds that meet with Cardinal Borromeo.
- Renzo e Lucia (2004) Pian di Spagna Natural Reserve and Mezzola Lake Francesca Archibugi sets her feature film in the Pian di Spagna Natural Reserve, 1600 acres of untouched nature where the provinces of Sondrio and Como meet. It offers a suggestive scenery, similar to that in the seventeenth century where the book is set. This area offers great chances for trekking and taking strolls.
- Love in Milan (2014) Lake Como Love in Milan is the first Chinese movie recorded in Lombardy. It tells the story of a Chinese organization that is preparing a fashion parade in Milan. Most scenes were shot in Milan between the Duomo and Piazza Castello, while other sequences are set in the Lecco side of Lake Como.
- Twenty again (2015) Como South Korean director Park Heung-Sik chooses Como to shoot his feature film "Twenty again", a romantic story about a Korean man and Woman who happen to meet again by chance in Italy and go on a journey together to discover the country's wonders. Some scenes were shot in Mantua.