Carrara Academy in Bergamo
The Art gallery of the Carrara Academy, with its prestigious collection of paintings, is Bergamo's most famous museum. Count Giacomo Carrara was the founder of the painting school and owner of the collection of masterpieces that have made Bergamo famous throughout the world. Count Carrara dedicated all of his assets to build the neoclassical-style home of the gallery, which was inaugurated in 1810 in the old village of San Tommaso.
Thanks to various acquisitions and generous donations from the city's important private collectors, the museum has continued to expand its collection that currently includes eighteen hundred paintings, dating back between the 15th and 19th century by artists such as Pisanello, Botticelli, Giovanni Bellini, Mantegna, Raphael, Moroni, Baschenis Among Galgario, Tiepolo, Canaletto and Piccio.
The works customarily displayed to the public can also be seen in the catalogue of paintings visible online. In addition to this main collection, the museum also houses a significant collection of drawings and prints, select groups of bronzes, sculptures and ceramics as well as furniture and home furnishings, and a collection of medals.
Thanks to the quality and cultural articulation, the Art gallery of the Carrara Academy is currently ranked among Italy's most important museums of ancient art.