Duomo of Casalmaggiore

Duomo of Casalmaggiore

Duomo of Casalmaggiore Provincia di Cremona

The Duomo of Casalmaggiore stands at the end of via Famagrossa, introduced by the perspective view created by the neoclassical Camozzi and Mina-Tentolini mansions. The cathedral, dedicated to Saint Stephen, is an imposing neoclassical church from the mid-19th century.

Construction of the Cathedral of Casalmaggiore began in 1840, thanks to a donation from the nobleman Giovanni Vicenza Ponzone. The design of the cathedral was entrusted to the architect Fermo Zuccari. Later, between 1897 and 1899, the bell tower was also built by the same architect, made possible by funds donated by Bianca Contesini. The construction of the cathedral was completed in 1846 and it was consecrated and opened to the faithful in 1861.

The structure of the cathedral is a Greek cross, preceded by an arched portico that serves as a vestibule. The church is divided into three naves with lateral chapels and a deep choir apse. The imposing dome is 60 meters high and supported by a tambour of 16 arches. Two monuments commemorating Giovanni Vicenza Ponzone and Luigi Chiozzi can be seen inside. Numerous sculptures decorate the church, including 28 saints in white stone positioned in the niches, and as many paintings. The apse is decorated with a depiction of the martyrdom of St. Stephen, created by Pietro Verzetti.

Follow us