The Manzoni Theater was founded 1870 and has been dedicated to Alessandro Manzoni since 1873. This name gave new life to the theater that, up to that time, had not had much luck, and many spectators arrived.
The Manzoni Theater was the first in Europe to be electrically lit from a central distribution station, and is among the most prestigious Italian theaters.
Located in the centre of Milan, in the heart of the fashion district, a short distance from Via Montenapoleone and Piazza della Scala, the theater as it appears today was designed in 1950.
The wide open spaces of the atrium, the elegant foyer and auditorium with a seating capacity of 842 seats are embellished with frescoes by Achille Funi and sculptures by Leone Lodi.
The faces that make up the history of Italian theater have all appeared on the stage of the Manzoni Theater, including: Vittorio Gassman, Eduardo De Filippo, Giorgio Albertazzi, Carlo Giuffrè, Gigi Proietti, Mariangela Spalato, Michele Placido, Gabriele Lavia, Sergio Rubini, Margherita Buy, Vincenzo Salemme, Luca Barbareschi, Massimo Dapporto, Enzo Iacchetti and Massimo Ghini. In addition, to meet the increasingly varied needs of Milan's audiences, the theater has added musicals to its programme.
In the wake of this new focus, every season the Manzoni Theater renews its commitment to offering the public the city and the public the finest theatrical productions.