Botanical Gardens of the University of Pavia
Pavia's Botanical Gardens have been situated in their present location since the late 1700s, following a complex series of attempts to find a suitable location for growing and teaching about plants in the department of medicine. The first department of Botany was founded by Fulgenzio Witman (1763-1773), a Vallombrosan monk and student of Maratta who taught in Pavia from 1763 to 1773: during this period he was asked to consult on the construction of a garden in sites places different than the current seat of the Botanical Gardens.
In 1773 construction work began on its current location. Various collections are found inside the Botanical Gardens, with an arboretum that helped make the structure an important centre in Italy. The gardens also house a significant collection of herbaria and two groups of azaleas. The rose garden is divided into three sections: one with wild roses, and another with antique roses. The last section features a collection of modern hybrids. The gardens also have aquatic, tropical and succulent plants along with herbs and cacti. In addition to many other varieties of plants, the botanical gardens of Pavia also house a collection of technical and scientific instruments that have been used in the Botanical Gardens over the course of history.