The Valtellina Museum of History and Art is located in the centre of Sondrio, in Palazzo de Lavizzari, an austere building donated to the city in 1922 for cultural purposes. The museum, located on the building's first and second floor, collects relics from the prehistoric and Roman periods that are displayed in the archaeological section. The museum also provides an interesting overview of the history of Valtellinna art from the Middle Ages to the present day through numerous examples. Pieces from the Ligari collection are also on display, including paintings, sketches, drawings, prints, plaster figures and documents from Valtellina's most important painter, Pietro Ligari, and his family of artists. The museum offices and an exhibition hall are located on the third floor.
In addition to exhibition spaces, the Valtellina Museum offers educational and consultation services to schools, visitors and researchers.