12 masterpieces in Lombardy
Hunting for 12 masterpieces in Lombardy
From the genius of Caravaggio to the perfect balance of Leon Battista Alberti. Quick tips to trigger Stendhal syndrome.
1. At the Accademia Carrara in Bergamo, you can look into the eyes of the Ritratto di bambina di casa Redetti, a masterpiece by the peerless Giovan Battista Moroni.
2. At the Collegiata dei Santi Nazaro e Celso, in Brescia, you can admire the Polittico Averoldi. Titian at his most inspired.
3. Como: future and Futurism in the work of the visionary architect: Antonio Sant'Elia at the Pinacoteca Civica.
4. At the Museo Civico Ala Ponzone in Cremona, let yourself be enchanted by Caravaggio's San Francesco in meditazione and the celebrated Arcimboldi's L'Ortolano.
5. Up an old mule track, reach the monastery of San Pietro al Monte in Civate, Lecco. A treasure trove of Romanesque art.
6. Stories of paper, art and ink: it's the Museo della Stampa Andrea Schiavi in Lodi. For those who visited it, the best in the world.
7. Mantua and Leon Battista Alberti. According to the immense 15th century architect, the Basilica di Sant'Andrea is the "...most skilful, eternal, admirable and joyful" of architectural works.
8. At the Musei Civici in Monza, make the acquaintance of Hayez, the painter of kisses, and his Ritratto di giovane donna.
9. Face to face with a master of portraiture, Antonello da Messina. At the Musei Civici of the Castello Visconteo in Pavia, you can admire his unmissable Ritratto d'uomo.
10. A Tuscan island in Lombardy. In Castiglione Olona, Varese, don't miss the frescoes by a great 15th century painter, Masolino.
11. Triumph of courtly love, from the Hippogriff to the escape of Angelica. A look upward on the trail of Orlando Furioso. Where? At the Castello Masegra in Sondrio.
12. Finally, a Unesco World Heritage: The Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci, a genius known throughout the world. You can be admired at the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan. You need to book in advance.
Discover all of our projects