The plain of chiavenna
Tour: The Plain of Chiavenna
You can take the old quiet national road and then a lovely cycle track to reach Novate Mezzola where there is the railway station. It means that the ones who are too tired on the way back can take the opportunity to load their bicycles on the train and have a rest. Leaving Novate the tour goes on to Prata Camportaccio, another picturesque village immersed in the nature.
The last stop is in Chiavenna, an artistic and cultural centre where you can enjoy some traditional food in the "crotti" and where you can find many attractions such as The Mill of Bottonera, the Castle where once lived the Conti Balbiani, the Collegiata di San Lorenzo and the Parco Paradiso.
Chiavenna in also an ideal starting point for a day trip in the surrounding area. For example you can visit Palazzo Vertemate Franchi in Prosto di Piuro and the Acquafraggia Waterfalls in Borgonuovo.
- Pian di Spagna Natural Reserve and Lake of Mezzola
- The Covered Bridge on the Codera River
- Chiavenna and its treasures: the Mill of Bottonera, the Balbiani Castle, the Collegiata of San Lorenzo and Parco Paradiso
- Palazzo Vertemate Franchi in Prosto di Piuro
- Acquafraggia Waterfalls in Borgonuovo
Places to visit:
Verceia, Novate Mezzola, Giumello, Somaggia, San Cassiano, Prata Camportaccio, Chiavenna