Autumn in Valtellina
5 things to do during autumn in Valtellina
The territory of Valtellina is vast and can be enjoyed all year long, due to the unique scenarios, colors, flavors and possibilities that it proposes in every season.
Autumn is here and Valtellina's splendid nature dyes its snowy peaks with yellow, red and orange hues. It is the perfect time to contemplate on the landscape, but also to engage in outdor activities such as skiing and cycling.
Don't miss the opportunity to go into a mountain shelter and taste some of Valtellina's finest delicacies.
What are you waiting for? The zone of Valtellina awaits!
- Trekking among the Woods In the months of September and October nature colors the landscape with yellow, red and orange, offering an incredible spectacle. Autumn in Valtellina is particularly suitable for trekking while enjoying its unique scenery! There are numerous places to go during this season: from the forests of the Stelvio National Park to the Bergamasque Alps, plus natural reserves and its trails with terraces.
- Listening to deers' bellows Mating season starts for many local animal species at the beginning of the Fall. It is quite easy to hear the imposing bellow of Bucks while trying to impress neighboring females. It can be heard at any time, but it is more frequent and astonishing in the early evening. The spots where we can recommend for hearing deers are the valleys of Val Zebrù in Valfurva and Valle del Gallo in the area of Cancano, both located in the Upper Valtellina.
- Taste the best food and wine in Valtellina From wines to apples, from pizzoccheri pasa to cheeses: Valtellina is the largest terraced area in Italy and a cherished destination for wine enthusiasts, specially during Fall, when grape harvest takes place. Tonnes of grape clusters are carried in panniers called "portini", then transferred to tractors and stored in basements after following steep trails and stairs. Valtellina's wine cellars are the ideal place to taste DOC and DOCG wines such as the king of local winery, the Sforzato.
- Just go skiing! Terhose who don't want to stop enjoying skiing, the Stelvio Pass area will remain open until November! From the 3450 meters of Monte Cristallo to the 2758 mt of the Pass, there are 20 kilometers of lanes in which great champions train for the new season.
- It is even better to visit it by bike A colorful landscape and a mild weather: autumn in Valtellina still has much to offer for cycling enthusiasts. Among the recommended paths for biking, there is the Valtellina Trail, which goes for 114 km from Bormio to Colico along the course of the Adda river. Mountain Bike lovers will have plenty of itineraries of varying difficulty levels at their disposal, immersed in nature among muletracks, apple woods, vineyards and sceneries made even more alluring by the autumn colors.