5 things to do in Autumn at Pavia and the Province
Autumn is one of the best seasons to discover Pavia and the Oltrepò Pavese area, proposing various activities and attractions waiting to be discovered.
Do you want a couple examples? The mists of the fall shroud Pavia's countryside, hiding manors and noble fortresses, while the old Lombard capital of Pavia will showcase the exhibition titled Lombards. A people that changes history, an epochal event that results from over 15 years of archaeological research in late medieval excavation sites and necropolis.
Why stop there? Go to Vigevano, only 35 kms away from Milan and enjoy a cultural weekend.
If you wish to stay in touch with nature, then the best thing to do would be to go searching for truffles, mushrooms and chestnuts in Oltrepò Pavese. This is the right season to eat and drink like kings and queens!
Discover the following suggestions by browsing this gallery dedicated to Autumn in Pavia.
- See the Upper Oltrepò The itinerary towards the Upper Oltrepò offers a particular hillside landscape featuring suggestive medieval boroughs, fortresses and old patrician manors alongside a local nature that entices people to take long walks in the woods, camping trips and trekking. A trip to the Upper Oltrepò implies a journey into the rural and aristocratic traditions of local cuisine. You could get the chance to taste Oltrepò's peculiar delicacies at the several fairs that are hosted at local boroughs. Scopri di più >
- Ancient fortresses amid the mists of Pavia's countryside Go outside the city of Pavia and follow the Frankish Road until you arrive to the Belgioioso Castle, founded by Galeazzo II Visconti during the second half of the XIVth century. The Belgioioso Castle is nowadays a precious monument of great historical and artistic value and an effective means of socio-economic and cultural growth for this land. Go along the Frankish road and you will get to the Chignolo Po Castle before arriving to the confluence of the rivers Lambro and Po. It is one of the most sumptuous countryside residence in Lombardy.
- Pavia, ancient capital of the Lombards The exhibition titled "The Lombards. A people that changed history" will take place from September 1st to December 3rd 2017 at Pavia's Visconti Castle. Afterwards it will be transferred to the MANN in Naples and Saint Petersburg Hermitage Museums. The history of Pavia as a capital city began just before the arrival of the Lombards in the year 569 AD. But it was only after the reign of the Ostrogoths that it became a residence for kings. Pavia asserted itself over cities such as Milan and Verona as the kingdom capital. Do not miss this epochal exhibition! For more info >
- Autumn in Vigevano following the steps of Leonardo da Vinci Vigevano's artistic heritage counts with museums and monuments that, from the famous square of Piazza Ducale to the Sforza Castle hosted historic figures of great importance. First amongst them is Leonardo Da Vinci. It is possible to follow an itinerary in Vigevano where visitors can discover the tracks of this Renaissance Genius, starting at the Leonardiana Museum in the Sforza Castle, then go to the opposite side of the city to visit the Mora Bassa Museum. For more info: >
- Looking for truffles, mushrooms and chestnuts in Oltrepò Pavese The Oltrepò area is renowned as a mother lode for quality truffles. Back in 1831, the famous Monographia tuberacearum by professor Carlo Vittadini mentioned the plains and hills of the Oltrepò Pavese among the most notorious gathering points. This is also a land where mushrooms are plenty and vary depending on the current season. They can easily be found at the hills' underbrush. You can search for chestnuts as well: from domestic chestnuts to marroni, you can find great quality here.