Spring in Pavia
5 things to do during spring in Pavia
Pavia and its surroundings offer various opportunities for whoever wants to enjoy spring outdoors.
From the Oltrepò Pavese to the Lomellina, the Province displays spectacular colors and natural landscapes during this time of the year. Let's not forget about the city of Pavia, full of art and suggestive views of the Ticino river.
Let us give you a few hints to discover spring in Pavia, whether it is by foot, car or bike!
- Boat trip along the Po river Have you ever been in a romantic boat trip along Italy's longest rivers during springtime? Have you seen its shores, churches and the clouds fly over your head while cruising through the streaming waters? If you wish to live a special afternoon discovering new places and unforgettable views, book for a cruise along the Po river with the Beatrice Motorboat at Arena Po in the locality of Frega. For more info (written in Italian): >
- Walking up and down the hills of Oltrepò Pavese Springtime is the ideal season for going on a trip amid the vineyards of Oltrepò Pavese along the "Wine Valleys" itinerary: charming landscapes, ancient castles and boroughs boasting plenty of history and culinary tradition. Start in Casteggio and go up towards Calvignano until reaching the Travaglino winery in order to taste great wines paired to local cold meats and cheeses. Just a few kilometers away from it, you can lose yourselves between the stone alley streets of Fortunago or keep going until Santa Maria della Versa, homeland of Pinot Nero. For more info >
- The patchwork sea of Lomellina's rice paddies From april to may the Lomellina countryside displays a "patchwork sea" made entirely out of rice paddies. Sunlight is reflected in the fields' freshly irrigated chambers, surrounded by herons, farmhouses and castles that will give you the impression of being by the sea. From March to October, every last sunday of the month will allow you to discover the architectural wonders of the Lomellina: starting at Lomello with the Baptistery of San Giovanni in Fontes, until reaching the Baptistery of Saint John the Baptist in Velezzo Lomellina.
- Walking along the Ticino River in Pavia A relaxing springtime walk along the left shoreline of the Ticino river in Pavia: a simple 5 km walking itinerary that goes up the Ticino's Confluence with the Naviglio Pavese, passing under the Ponte coperto, until the San Lanfranco Abbey and discover the natural beauty of this blue waterstream. Our advice is to take it by sunset, when the sky is dyed red and orange while the sun is mirrored on the waters of the Ticino.
- Cycling itineraries and encounters with herons Spring is the best season to watch storks in Zerbolò, a small municipality of the Ticino Park. Among rice paddies, meadows and waterstreams, it is easy to find a few stork nests. If you wish to live a similar experience immersed in nature, you can stay at the Cascina Venara, where you can see a group of herons flying low, or hunting frogs and small insects in the meadows and rice paddings that surround the farmhose. This hostel is the ideal starting point for taking numerous biking itineraries.