10 good reasons to visit Como
10 good reasons to visit Como, hints and suggestions
Allow us to suggest 10 good reasons to visit Como. Although this territory needs no introductions, there might still be a few who probably have not visited it yet. Thus, we prepared 10 ideas that will help you plan a good vacation in this land.
The historic center faces the lakeshore, with the Cathedral or Duomo serving as a reference point. You could walk along the medieval walls or admire local landmarks like the Volta Temple, dedicated to the life and work of the inventor of batteries, or Villa Olmo and the prestigious art exhibitions it harbors.
We are sure that the natural landscape and outdoor spaces will be reason enough for you to fall in love with it.
At Piazza De Gasperi, you can hop in a cable car that will take you to Brunate and its panoramic sighting points at a 700 meters altitude.
Trekking enthusiasts will find paths suited for all skill levels. The Green Way is perfect for beginners. The "4 valleys" pathway is 50 km long, recommended for experienced visitors. If you wish to venture for a couple days in the countryside, choose the Dorsale del Triangolo Lariano itinerary.
Go on a brief cruise if you want to relax watching magnificent villas and gardens by the shore. Furthermore, boats are a convenient way of transportation during your stay.
- @villadelgrumelloLove is in the air Starting with the romance between opera composer Vincenzo Bellini and singer Giuditta Pasta, set in Roccabruna and Villa Passalacqua... Or perhaps musician Franz Liszt and Madame d'Agoult, don't forget Ippolito Nievo and Bice Melzi d'Eril, a romance which took place in the beautiful Villa Melzi in Bellagio. Or the tragic love of Ugo Foscolo and the Countess Francesca Giovio in Villa Celesia, also known as Villa del Grumello. Every mansion and villa here in Como has treasures to show and stories to tell.
- Ocean's TwelveIt's like being on a movie set Getting the feeling that you've already seen that terrace overlooking the lake? It's not déjà-vu, Lake Como has been featured in countless films and has won the hearts of directors like Alfred Hitchcock and George Lucas, who have set some of their most famous productions here. Just remember Ocean's Twelve, Star Wars Episode II or Casino Royale to name a few.
- @JeRoseL'06It offers unique scenery Take the funicular railway in Como's Piazza De Gasperi and head towards Brunate, also known as the "Balcony over the Alps". From here you can admire Como and gaze upon the entire alpine range. Or take the funicular railway from Argegno to Pigra for some extraordinary views of the Alpine foothills.
- It's even more beautiful from above Not everybody knows that the Aero Club Como is the oldest operative flying club (since 1913) and is the only European school where you can get a hydroplane pilot license. You can take part of introductory flights with the assistance of experienced pilots upon request.
- The special temple A fascinating science museum on the lake, the Tempio Voltiano celebrates Alessandro Volta through his discoveries and activities. Scientific instruments, personal mail and documents, photographs and sculptures narrate the life of the physicist that invented the flashlight.
- Museo della Seta - ComoComplex patterns are woven here Refined and precious. Como's silk fabrics are famous worldwide due to their refinement and the quality of the material, so it's no surprise that there are numerous museums dedicated to the local textile industry: the Didactical Silk Museum and the Textile Studies Museum – MuST (Antonio Ratti Foundation) in Como, the Silk Museum at Abbadia Lariana and the Abegg Museum in Garlate.
- Sailing on the lake Discover Como and its wonders by sailing on the lake. You can live such an experience thanks to some of the numerous cruise lines that go across its waters, passing by lakeshore villages, antique mansions and botanical gardens. The boats are a convenient, efficient and romantic way of getting around!
- It's great for trekking lovers Nestled among the mountains, Lake Como offers plenty of hiking routes to be enjoyed at any skill level. The Green Way, which is perfect for beginners, is a walking trail that goes across the municipalities of Colonno, Sala Comacina, Ossuccio, Lenno, Mezzegra, Tremezzo and Griante. Then there are more challenging and exciting itineraries, like the 4 Valleys Trail, 50 km's across Val Sanagra, Val Cavargna, Val Rezzo and Valsolda. The Dorsale of the Larian Triangle is a beautiul 2-day pathway that goes through the territory between the fork in the lake.
- The burning of Comacina Island Every year in June, during the Celebration of Saint John, the burning of the Comacina island takes place. It's a one of a kind pyrotechnic show with music and a narrator to recreate the island's destruction in 1169 by the inhabitants of Como as retaliation to the islanders, who were allied with their Milanese enemies. This show can be seen on board of boats, private yachts or the lake shores.
- It boasts the most beautiful gardens Flowers, rare plants, waterworks and an unexpected scenery. Lake Como features gardens of unparalleled beauty. Try visiting Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo between April and May when the azaleas bloom completely. Check out Villa Melzi in autumn, when the park is in full color, and don't miss the extraordinary gardens at Villa Balbianello.