10 Good Reasons to Visit Sondrio
10 good reasons to visit Sondrio, let's discover them!
The following pages propose 10 good reasons to visit Sondrio. It is the ideal destination if you love nature and good cuisine. Here are 10 suggestions for visiting this province!
The area of Valtellina is famous for its mountains and proposals for every season. Its four ski zones will make winter sports fans happy, they can engage in alpine and skiing, snowparks and snow walking. In summertime, you can go trekking, cycling, canoeing and rafting in itineraries suited for everybody.
Head to the Stelvio National Park, the largest in the country, giving you the chance to gaze upon a few chamoises on its peaks or perhaps a groundhog or a fox along the way.
Climb to higher altitudes without effort by getting a ticket for the Bernina rhaetian railway and admire the imposing scenery of the Morterartsch Glacier, reaching a 2000 meters altitude.
If you wish to relax the whole day, dive into Bormio and the warm thermal waters of its structures while enjoying the view of the Alps.
To better know this zone, choose the Wine and Flavor Trails of Lombardy and try local delicacies. Taste bresaola, polenta taragna and bitto cheese at the rock excavations of Valchiavenna.
Or savor a plate of pizzoccheri made with seasonal ingredients and enjoy your vacation in the Region.
- It offers fun in the snow One of Sondrio's main selling points is the Skiing area of the Valtellina. It includes four zones, the Upper Valtellina, Aprica, Valchiavenna and Valmalenco, worldwide renowned winter sports locations. Just think about Bormio and Livigno, but also Caterina Valfurva, Chiesa Valmalenco, Campodolcino and Madesimo. Furthermore, it is possible to practice summer skiing in Passo dello Stelvio and Biathlon, a sport that combines skiing and sharpshooting in Valdidentro.
- It has great sales A skier's dream come true, here you will find the most convenient deals. Livigno is a popular destination for shopping lovers. You will find exclusive boutiques, outlets and stores to buy some duty-free products.
- It's perfect for outdoors lovers From trekking to golf, ski and climbing, Sondrio offers countless solutions for sports and outdoor activities enthusiasts at the Orobie Valtellinesi Park. It provides walking or mountain bike trails for visitors. You can also practice canoeing and rafting on the streams of the Valtellina and the Adda river while the Teglio, near the Sommasassa Lake and at Magnolta near Aprica are ideal for sports fishing.
- Selena ChinniciThere's always time to sit at the crotti The crotti are peculiar structures in Valchiavenna that were carved in stone to preserve wine and cured meats. There are large rustic tables where it is possible to sit and taste traditional staple dishes from local menus. From Bressaola to Pizzoccheri, Polenta Taragna and incredible cheeses like the bitto. If we might suggest you the fair or sagra dedicated to it, where private crotti are open tu the public and culinary routes are organized for the event.
- The train is a local attraction It starts at Tirano and climbs the Alps until reaching Saint Moritz and Coira. It is Bernina's red train, with tourist cars that have large windows to better admire this unmatched landscape. It passes the ancient Brusio canal, passes Poschiavo and its beautiful patrician mansions. Then it reaches the Alp Grüm (2091 mts), the imposing Morteratsch glacier and the Bernina mountain range.
- It's perfect for taking a moment for yourself Old or new Tthermal baths? Wellness in Bormio means to go to its Thermal baths, hydromassage basins with scenic view over the mountains, couples massages and warm herbal teas. Treat yourselves to a relaxing moment in the most famous thermal baths in Lombardy.
- Its wine is amazing Wine in Valtellina is an important part of the economy. This is evident due to the numerous vineyards that create a pleasant contrast with the nearby mountains. The wines that are produced d here are red, robust and have character. Its notorious varieties include the Sforzato, the Valtellina Superior, which is subdivided in five sub categories: Maroggia, Sassella, Grumello, Inferno and Valgella.
- The mountains are gorgeous all year long Sondrio's mountains are also worth a visit in Summer and are great for the less athletic types. You can relax with by taking a peaceful walk along the Stelvio National Park, the largest of its kind in the country, the one in the Orobie Valtellinesi with the Eco-Faunistic Alpine Observatory of Aprica, or the Val di Mello Natural Reserve. They are actual corners of heaven, open to nature enthusiasts. Take the chance of visiting the Pian Gembro Natural Reserve, a peat bog from the Ice Age that harbors various plant and animal species.
- Distretto Culturale ValtellinaIt has its own "pyramids" We are talking about the Postalesio Pyramids. Accessible to the public and located inside the Natural Reserve of the same name. They are singular rock formations created over the course of millennia by moraines. You will walk among columns surmounted by a stone "cap" of varying sizes. This has given birth to numerous legends: some say that they are inhabited by gnomes and fairies, who exert all kinds of magic.
- The Pizzoccheri will make your mouth water The star dish of local cuisine is warded by Teglio's Pizzocchero Academy, which has established the authentic traditional recipe: buckwheat, butter, white flour, Camera and Grana cheese, savoy cabbage, potatoes and a clove of garlic. These ingredients are the base of such a hearty dish that can be tasted in the town's restaurants, all of them associated to the Academy.